A representative body of stakeholders working together to make decisions for the school, to improve student achievement.
Membership of the School Council as required by state statue (ARS 15-351)
- Teachers *
- Non-Certified Employees
- Community Members
- Students (Required at the High School Level)
- Parents of Students at the School. Parents cannot be school district employees
- Site Administrators
The school council shall reflect the ethnic composition of the local community.
What is the function of the School Council?
- Representative body of stakeholders at a school site.
- Collaborative decision-making body working together to improve student performance.
- Informed body which ensures that federal and state law, district and school policies are implemented.
- Proactive body which utilizes school data to improve student performance, forms committees and task forces, and researches, develops, and implements site specific proposals, innovations and policies such as MAP.
Initial Membership Selection
- Initial representatives shall be selected at public meetings held at the school site. (ARS 15-351-4)
- The current team may be the initial school council if:
- The number of teachers and parents is equal and constitutes a majority of the council.
- The council membership reflects the ethnic composition of the local community.
- The council membership was selected by their membership groups.
Subsequent Membership Selection
- Once the Constitution/Bylaws are developed and ratified, the representatives for the subsequent school council shall be selected by their membership groups, according to the Constitution/Bylaws. The initial representatives are NOT precluded from being on the subsequent school council.
- School Council is a body of stakeholders at the school site who work together and make decisions to improve student performance.
- School Councils utilize school data to improve student performance, form committees and task forces, research, develop, and implement site specific proposals, innovations and policies such as MAP.
The initial school council meets at least 4 times each year.
When does the School Council deal with the budget?
The School Council is involved with the school budget when it has successfully progressed to Phase III of the SDM process.
What is the reason for parents and teachers being represented equally on the School Council?
State law requires that there must be equal number of parents and teachers and that they constitute a majority of the council. Equity provides parents and teachers the opportunity to retain a strong voice on the School Council.
How are members selected?
State law and Board Policy requires that representative groups shall select representatives (members). In other words, parents select parents, teachers select teachers, etc. The selection process should be delineated in the Constitution/By-Laws at each site.
Dear Sewell Parents,
Would you like to be part of a team that includes parents, teachers, staff and community members that helps set the direction for your child’s school?
Would you like to make a positive and productive difference here at Sewell as a parent representative to offer your ideas and points of view from a parent’s perspective?
Would you like to have a voice in working together to help Sewell grow and progress to be the best for our students and community?
Then please consider joining Sewell’s School Council and help the team of educators, parents and community members make Sewell the best elementary school in the district.
School Council meets at 4:00 once a quarter for approximately an hour. We set agendas, discuss items of concern, plan school improvement programs, discuss school budgets and programs and set a direction for Sewell to continue to improve and benefit our children. These meetings are open to the public and the public is encouraged to attend and share ideas and questions for the council.
If this sounds good to you, please consider joining Sewell’s School Council as a parent representative. Right now, we need three parents to serve on the School Council. The obligation is easy and consists of attending and participating in one site council meeting a quarter, essentially four meetings a year.
We would like to fill these three open positions as soon as possible so we can get to work. If you are interested in taking part, please fill out the bottom portion of this and return it to the office by Friday, April 29. In the case of more than three interested parents we will, according to bylaws, have an election by parents to choose the three members.
Since these positions will be for the 2022-2023 school year you must have a child enrolled during that school year.
Yes, I am interested in serving on Sewell’s School Council.
Phone Number_________________________________ Best time to call_________________
Thank you for helping make Sewell a place where kids love to learn, teachers love to teach and parents love to send their children.
Rob Jewett, Principal